Benjamin-Constant : Marvels and Mirages of Orientalism
A fascinating book studies Jean-Joseph Benjamin-Constant (1845-1902), one of the great Orientalist painters of the Third Republic in France
Although little known today, Jean-Joseph Benjamin- Constant was famous in late 19th-century France as a leading orientalist painter and society portraitist, as well as for his decorative murals in prominent public buildings. With a rich colour palette, his vibrant images are peopled with languid odalisques and threatening Moors.
As opulent as its subject matter, this beautiful book is the first full study of the artist, drawing on new and unpublished research and exploring his influence through interviews with contemporary female artists of Moroccan heritage.
- Author: Nathalie Bondil, director and chief curator of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
- Hardcover: 400 pages | 250 colour and 100 black and white illustrations
- Date published: November 2014
- Language: English
- Delivery: Allow 1-2 weeks
- ISBN: 978-0300210897
- Product Dimensions: 32.1 x 29.9 cm