Millet and Modern Art : From Van Gogh to DaliRegular price £29.95
'Millet and Modern Art is not just an exhibition catalog. Its primary focus is designed around the information, research, and inspiration of some original thoughts on the selected art history themes. In this aspect, it is well organized and clearly presented. For Millet and Modern Art, the essays are its heart and soul, down to earth and of course, modern.' - New York Journal of Books
An insightful overview of how Millet influenced and inspired many modernist artists that followed him
Jean-Francois Millet (1814-1875) was one of the most important artists of the Barbizon School. Through his publicly exhibited works and their critical reception, Millet was of crucial significance to modernist painters. Millet's modernity is evident in his varied subjects-from peasant themes to landscapes to nudes-and his anti-academic, rough paint application.
He also produced highly inventive pastels and drawings. Jean-Francois Millet examines the international range of artists whom he influenced. For instance, Millet was an artistic hero for Vincent van Gogh, whose treatment of numerous motifs-including The Sower and Starry Night-was directly inspired by the older artist.
Van Gogh even painted a remarkable series of 21 "copies" after Millet's work while living in the south of France in the final year of his life. Other artists on whom Millet had a profound impact include Camille Pissarro, Georges Seurat, Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, and Winslow Homer, and, in the 20th century, most notably Edvard Munch and Salvador Dali.
- Authors: Simon Kelly is curator and head of the Department of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Saint Louis Art Museum. Maite van Dijk and Nienke Bakker are senior curators of paintings at the Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam. Abigail Yoder is research assistant at the Saint Louis Art Museum.
- Hardcover: 208 pages | 192 colour & black and white illustrations
- Date published: October 2019
- Language: English
- Delivery: Allow 1-2 weeks
- ISBN: 978-0300248661
- Product Dimensions: 28.5 x 22.7 cm