Awaken : A Tibetan Buddhist Journey Toward EnlightenmentRegular price $46.00
'a gem for students and practitioners of art, meditation, Buddhism, and/or Asian culture' - New York Journal of Books
A beautifully presented, informed and readable exploration of Tibetan Buddhism through its art history
This exhibition catalogue for a show at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts presents spectacular Himalayan art and explores the philosophical tenets encoded in its imagery. Taking as its theme, the universally accessible experience of Awakening, the book's main text leads readers along an immersive journey of self-discovery, aided by a virtual guide, or lama, and traditional art meant to support meditative practice. Complementary essays examine Tibetan Buddhism's ritual tools, paintings, symbolic imagery, and artistic traditions.
Beautiful colour images of all artworks, including three by contemporary Nepalese-American artist Tsherin Sherpa, and selected important details enhance our understanding of their complex iconography.
- Authors: John Henry Rice is the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Curator of South Asian and Islamic Art at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Jeffrey Durham is associate curator of Himalayan art at the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco.
- Hardcover: 256 pages | 230 colour and black and white illustrations
- Date published: April 2019
- Language: English
- Delivery: Allow 1-2 weeks
- ISBN: 978-0300244656
- Product Dimensions: 27.9 x 24.1 cm